Validus Holdings, Ltd. was incorporated under the laws of Bermuda on October 19, 2005. The Company conducts its operations worldwide through four operating segments: Validus Re, Talbot, Western World, and AlphaCat.
Validus Re is a global reinsurance segment focused primarily on treaty reinsurance. Talbot is a specialty insurance segment, primarily operating within the Lloyd’s insurance market through Syndicate 1183. Western World is a U.S. based specialty excess and surplus lines insurance segment operating within the U.S. commercial market. AlphaCat is a Bermuda based investment adviser, managing capital for third parties and the Company in insurance linked securities (“ILS”) and other property catastrophe and specialty reinsurance investments.
We seek to establish ourselves as a leader in the global insurance and reinsurance markets. Our principal operating objective is to use our capital efficiently by underwriting primarily short-tail insurance and reinsurance contracts with superior risk and return characteristics. Our primary underwriting objective is to construct a portfolio of short-tail insurance and reinsurance contracts that maximizes our return on equity subject to prudent risk constraints on the amount of capital we expose to any single event. We manage our risks through a variety of means, including contract terms, portfolio selection, diversification, including geographic diversification, and proprietary and commercially available third-party vendor catastrophe models.
Since our formation in 2005, we have been able to achieve substantial success in the development of our business. Selected examples of our accomplishments are as follows:
- Raising approximately $1.0 billion of initial equity capital in December 2005 and underwriting $217.4 million in gross premiums written for the January 2006 renewal season;
- Building a risk analytics staff comprised of over 50 experts, many of whom have PhDs and Masters degrees in related fields;
- Developing Validus Capital Allocation and Pricing System (“VCAPS”), a proprietary computer-based system for modeling, pricing, allocating capital and analyzing catastrophe-exposed risks;
- Acquiring all of the outstanding shares of Talbot Holdings Ltd. (“Talbot”) on July 2, 2007;
- Completing an initial public offering (“IPO”) on July 30, 2007;
- Acquiring all of the outstanding shares of IPC Holdings Ltd. (“IPC”) on September 4, 2009;
- Successfully launching a series of AlphaCat sidecars and ILS funds beginning on May 25, 2011;
- Acquiring all of the outstanding shares of Flagstone Reinsurance Holdings, S.A. (“Flagstone”) on November 30, 2012;
- Acquiring all of the outstanding shares of Western World Insurance Group, Inc. (“Western World”) on October 2, 2014;
- Acquiring all of the outstanding shares of Crop Risk Services (“CRS”) on May 1, 2017.