Validus Holdings, Ltd. is a leading global provider of reinsurance, insurance, and asset management services, delivering its premier solutions through four diversified yet complementary operating companies: Validus Reinsurance, Ltd., a global reinsurance group focused primarily on treaty reinsurance; Talbot Underwriting Ltd., a specialty (re)insurance group operating within the Lloyd’s market through Syndicate 1183; Western World Insurance Group, Inc., a U.S. specialty lines organization; and AlphaCat Managers, Ltd., a Bermuda-based investment advisor managing capital for third parties and Validus through insurance-linked securities and other property catastrophe and specialty reinsurance investments.
Research and analytics are at the core of Validus’ operations and provide its team of expert practitioners with the knowledge and insight required to effectively model and interpret risk – an approach that consistently benefits clients and ensures their needs are met. Validus maintains a worldwide presence with more than 1,000 employees in 19 offices across all major regions and is listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol VR.
Since our formation in 2005, we have been able to achieve substantial success in the development of our business. Selected examples of our accomplishments are as follows:
- Raising approximately $1.0 billion of initial equity capital in December 2005 and underwriting $217.4 million in gross premiums written for the January 2006 renewal season;
- Building a risk analytics staff comprised of over 50 experts, many of whom have PhDs and Masters degrees in related fields;
- Developing Validus Capital Allocation and Pricing System (“VCAPS”), a proprietary computer-based system for modeling, pricing, allocating capital and analyzing catastrophe-exposed risks;
- Acquiring all of the outstanding shares of Talbot Holdings Ltd. (“Talbot”) on July 2, 2007;
- Completing an initial public offering on July 30, 2007;
- Acquiring all of the outstanding shares of IPC Holdings Ltd. on September 4, 2009;
- Successfully launching a series of AlphaCat sidecars and ILS funds beginning on May 25, 2011;
- Acquiring all of the outstanding shares of Flagstone Reinsurance Holdings, S.A. on November 30, 2012;
- Acquiring all of the outstanding shares of Western World Insurance Group, Inc. on October 2, 2014;
- Acquiring all of the outstanding shares of Crop Risk Services on May 1, 2017.